Saturday 16 November 2013

This year, I have been mostly playing...


Okay, so it is not even close to the end of the year. It isn't, is it? Please no, where has the time gone...

I picked up a copy of Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer Edition. I thought that I'd best see what the fuss is about. 10 years late. As I said something of the sort to the guy behind the counter, I realised that if I listed the games that I had run over the past 12 months you would struggle to tell that it wasn't sometime in the mid-1980s. In 2013 I have run games using:


  • Several iterations of Classic D&D (including BECMI/RC, Labyrinth Lord, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and Adventurer, Conqueror, King System)
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG
  • Classic Traveller
  • Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2e

Even the games on this list that have been published in the past few years are clones, simulacra, new editions, or what have you of game systems published about thirty years ago. Given that my next game will be either Marvel Super Heroes or Classic Traveller, and that the 'serious' campaign in gestation is a d100 fantasy game heavily inspired by Griffin Mountain, and you've got a picture of a man hopelessly stuck in the past - but I like it here! - like some kind of gaming Doc Brown.
   

1 comment:

  1. I have rejected the date society tries to make me conform too and replaced it with the start of the summer holidays 1988. I repeat this every day, groundhog style. :D

    ReplyDelete